Thursday, March 29, 2012

11th Hour (2007)

The 11th hour is a documentary film, written by Leonardio DiCaprio, Leila Conners and Nadia Conners.
The film talked about the issues that are harmful to our planet, Earth; Global warming, over population, and Fossil Fuel Dependency. The most alarming issue was fossil-fuel dependency of the human race. The human race cannot live with out the help of fossil fuels since we became dependent on it. However what most are un aware of, these fossil fuels are almost depleted. When these fossil fuels are gone, what happens next? How will Land, Sea, and Air transportation function without these fossil fuels?


As a student I want to be prepared for that time when gas prices are really high and no one wants to use their cars. I got my self a bicycle! I want to somehow get used to bike commuting. In Japan, a first world country, most of them still use bikes. Why can't we?


I live 7 kilometers away from my school. It takes 25 minutes to get there with or without traffic, on a bicycle. It also takes 25 minutes to get there with a car with no traffic, but it takes over an hour from my school to my house with traffic. If I ride a bike to school why can't you? If the Japanese, Europeans, Americans, Chinese and Koreans can do it why can't we?

After watching the film the 11th Hour, it changed a part of me. Before the film I was already aware of global warming and green house gases etc. I just want to quote Wes Jackson as he said:
"It's not just global warming. It's not just fossil-fuel dependency. It's not just soil erosion. It's not just chemical contamination of our land and water. It's not just the population problem. And It's not jus all of those. - The deterioration of the environment of our planet is an outward mirror of an inner condition. - Like inside, like outside. And that's a part of Great Work."

No comments:

Post a Comment